If you’ve ever had daily access to a salad bar, you probably know what items you prefer in your salad.
While I might not be able to remember what I put in my salads 20+ years ago when I worked in a mall next to a grocery store, for some strange reason, I am able to recall that my friend Lisa’s salads always contained baby spinach, shredded carrots, imitation crab, and peas.
These days, I make myself a big salad several times a week and this is the combination that makes me the happiest:
- Chopped romaine lettuce or another dark green lettuce.
- Chopped scallions
- Pieces of cheese: typically sliced American (I prefer Clearfield brand)
- 1 Gala apple, peeled, sectioned & chopped.
- Chopped walnuts
- Newman’s Balsamic dressing
- A sprinkle of nutritional yeast flakes
- A pinch of coarse salt
Sometimes I’ll add in a few “extras” in the form of avocado, chopped ham or chopped cucumber. Tomatoes only if they are local & in season. (I can’t do the plastic hothouse type.)
If all I have is lettuce and dressing, I can do that- but for me, it’s the scallions that really make the salad.
How about you? What are your favorite salad ingredients?